Sunday 2 November 2014

Pics from Waiheke Island, New Zealand

The owner of the house I stayed in was Maori. Hemi taught me about some Maori culture and showed me a taiaha, which is a fighting stick:



Hemi's family:


I was invited to visit Tiana and Keanu's school. They go to a different kind of school to Strand (it is called a Steiner school). There are a lot of outdoors activities and there aren't many children in each class:





At the house, I was responsible for feeding the chickens and collecting eggs every day. We got to eat a lot of omelettes!




Waiheke island is known for its vineyards, where wine is made:






The skeleton mask I made for Halloween:

It was very sad leaving Waiheke island but we have promised to come back to visit Hemi and his family before we leave New Zealand in January. We are now driving South to visit other parts of the North island of New Zealand!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mr Dienn,
    Thank you so much for keeping in touch with us. It looks like you are having a great time and we are pleased for you. We are all well in cold England but we wish we were in sunny New Zealand!
    Please keep blogging as we are looking forward to finding out where you are going next (and Mrs Ristic says it is going to help us with our recount writing!!!!)
    Take care and have fun!
    From Mrs R and 3R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr Dienn
    We loved seeing your blog in assembly - we are all very jealous to see you swimming when its cold and wet here!
    The farm looks great - just like Ringsfield but warmer. Mrs Harrison has set everyone a homework to see if they can explain how you are looking after chicks when its Autumn here....... we had some very interesting theories.
    Keep blogging
    Take Care
    Ms Woods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Strand,
      Thanks for writing - Reading your comments has put a big smile on my face! I was just thinking how I have only been away for over a month but it seems like a lot longer! I am currently in Queenstown in the South Island of New Zealand, where I will be for the next month or 2 as I have a job working in a hostel. There are loads of cool things to do here like bungy jumps, sky dives, canyon swings etc. which I hope to do by December - unfortunately, I can't do them now as I broke my arm last week :( - I am just about to upload the pictures now.

      Missing all of you loads,
      Mr Dienn

      Delete